How long does a season last?
- The length of a season is dependent on how many teams are in the league/division. For example, if there are 6 teams in the division you will play each team twice resulting in a 10-week season. If there are 8 teams this would be a 14-week season.
Are matches played all year round?
- Yes, once a season ends there may be a week break and then a new season will start. In leagues with more divisions there will be promotions/demotions between seasons. We break over Christmas, but otherwise matches are player year-round.
How much does it cost to play?
- Match fees are £40 per team which can be paid in cash or via BACS. Should a team wish to pay for a season upfront we offer a 10% discount on the overall cost of the season.
- If a team forfeits a match, they pay a £20 forfeit fee rather than the regular match fee.
What happens if our opponent forfeits the match?
- If your opponent forfeits, you will win the match 10-0 by default. We endeavour to notify all relevant teams as soon as we are aware of a forfeit both via email and Facebook. You are welcome to use the court in that time for team training or to arrange a friendly against other teams.
What if my team is short of players one week?
- If you are ever short of players, you can borrow players from other teams. The best way to do this is to post in the Facebook group for the league. Some of our leagues have rules regarding the borrowing of players but all allow it in some way. In order to start a match, there must be 5 players from each team on court
Do I need to bring/wear anything in particular?
- You just need to wear appropriate sportswear to play in. We suggest trainers with good grip, and then to wear regular sportswear. We provide bibs and balls for you to use at matches.
Can I wear jewellery/have long nails?
- We follow England Netball Rulings on jewellery therefore only a plain wedding band/medical bracelet may be worn whilst playing but both must be taped. All other jewellery including fitness trackers and ear piercings must be removed before you take the court. Nails must be short and smooth. All umpires reserve the right to refuse to allow a player to take the court if they do not abide by these rules
Do I need to be affiliated to England Netball?
- No, we are not an England Netball affiliated league so there is no need for you to affiliate with them to play.
I haven’t played since school and don’t remember the rules – can I still join?
- Of course you can. Players of all abilities are welcome to join our leagues. Our umpires are very friendly and will help you pick the rules back up. The majority of our players were in the same position as you at some point, and you will pick it back up in no time.
If I sign up as an individual will I be put in a team with players of a similar age to me?
- We do not ask players their age when they sign up so we cannot guarantee that team mates will be of a similar age. Our only requirement is that players are over 18. But if you end up joining a team and feel out of place because of a difference in age please do let us know so that we can look at placing you in a different team
Do you run training sessions?
- No, we only organise matches each week.
What happens if it rains?
- Some of our leagues play outdoors and being in the UK that means weather can affect play. We monitor the weather every day and talk to the coordinators and umpires throughout the day to determine whether matches go ahead. Decisions will be made no later than 5pm and updates will be posted on Facebook and emailed to teams. If matches are cancelled, they will be rearranged to the end of the season.
- If the decision is made to play matches and the weather gets worse the umpires will make the decision at the start of the match as to whether it is safe for play to go on. If it starts raining partway through a match, umpires will stop play if they feel it is getting dangerous.
My match was cancelled part way through – what happens to the score?
- If a match is not finished the score is dependent on how much of the game was played. If at least half the match is played the score stands as it is when play stopped. If play is stopped before half-time then we will try to rearrange the match for later in the season. If this is not possible for whatever reason, we will contact both teams to find a different solution.
What if the courts aren’t very good?
- We hire all our venues so have limited control over the condition of the courts, posts etc. If you have any concerns over the condition of the venue, please notify us so that we can talk to the venue to get things resolved.
How are points awarded for matches?
- 6 points for a win
- 4 points for a draw
- 1 point for a loss
- 1 Bonus Point for losing but getting at least half your opponent’s sore.
I am pregnant – Can I play?
- No, we follow England Netballs latest guidelines that state that pregnant women should not play netball. If an umpire is aware you are pregnant, they have the right to not allow you to play. It is for your safety so please respect their decision.
I live for Tuesday nights now. I love the league.Plymouth League
Had a fantastic time tonight! Really enjoying myself and learning loads. Now becoming Netball-obsessed!!!Sabrina - Nottingham League
I was put in a team as an individual in May but 6 months later we are still together and really good friends. The umpire, Sarah is really good. Super friendly and helpful.Norwich League
Really enjoying playing and being part of a team. I met some lovely people and had a great laugh!Emma - Torquay League
Wednesday League is so much fun. Highly Recommend Joining!Becky Jane - Stoke-on-Trent - Wednesday League